How to post a comment

TO POST A COMMENT - At the 'Comment as' box click on the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL' then in the name section type in your own name (the sender) and press 'contine' (there is no need to enter anything in the URL box).

Any views expressed are my own and are not representative of VSO.


Friday 21 January 2011

Hyena and attayah!

I want to begin by thanking people for their Christmas cards and the Christmas gifts that I have started receiving. I know that Christmas has finished but it's really cool getting post and when I do I put the cards up in my house. I know I haven’t got them all yet but thanks again for sending them - it's greatly appreciated!

Well the new year has been a great one and already I am embracing the new experiences of 2011!!

A couple of days ago I was out visiting schools and once again I encountered motorbike problems! The rear tyre got a puncture. I was quite impressed with the fact that I realised there was a problem so soon! The bike started swaying from left to right as though there was a huge wind pushing me from one side of the road to another! It was scary!!

I pulled over and called riders for help! It was whilst waiting for the tyre to be fixed that I got talking to some local people and they told me about a man in a nearby village who went into the 'bush' and killed a hyena! I was keen to see this hyena so I left my bike by the roadside and went to investigate.

It wasn’t long before I saw a crowd of people all gathered round the gate of a compound just off the road. I walked into the compound, greeted everyone and then made my way over to the group of men kneeling over something on the floor. When I saw the hyena I couldn’t believe my eyes - it was huge!

Even though the hyena was dead (and in the middle of being skinned) it still looked terrifying! I was both excited by what I was seeing but also petrified to think that these things live in the bush and so close to me!!!

The guy who had killed it (he shot it) was a hunter (a hardcore little man who roams the bush at night). As I got talking to people about hyenas it became apparent how difficult they are to kill. Apparently they move around in groups and they are really intelligent? Also they are supposed to have very strong jaws and once they bite they don’t let go!

There is quite a degree of superstition and myths surrounding hyenas here in The Gambia and people's beliefs vary dramatically considering where they live (my Gambian friends in Kombo for example think that eating hyena is bad luck whereas here in Kerewan the prospect of eating this unusual meat seems to excite people)!

I really wanted to take a photo but I didn't know how appropriate that would be so I politely asked the crowd if I could take a picture. The gathering were also excited by the kill (it's not a common thing to kill a hyena) and they were keen to let me take a photo. A little later the mechanic (who had arrived to fix my puncture) showed up and he purchased some of the meat.

Later that evening one of the guys from Riders cooked hyena and Nathan and I joined him for dinner!! Paul didn't seem keen on trying the meat so he stayed at home.

It tasted good! Quite salty and a bit gristly (but that's just because they don’t prepare the meat cuts properly here)! Not all Gambian's have tasted hyena and from what I can gather it's quite a 'bush' thing to eat! So not only am I becoming a Gambian woman I’m now a Gambian bush woman!!!!

As a side I also want to mention that I can now brew my own attayah (that's the green tea that people drink here). The brewing process takes some time and the little tea pot and the glasses that you pour it in to get really hot but I’m slowly burning away my fingertips and soon I won’t feel the pain at all!!!

The kill!! The guy knelt down is the hunter.

This man wanted to show me how sharp the teeth were!!
Me brewing green tea!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Vix

    You have a strong stomach i couldnt see that and then eat it. You still seem positive and as though you are loving the experience. I havent started to read that book yet but will get round to it and let you know what I think.

    Its soooo cold here still - ive been at rugby today and i couldnt feel my toes after 4 hours of standing there. got to go to a game tomorrow as well. why couldnt i have had girls and gone dancing to a warm hut???

    Hear from you soon

    Phil xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicky...amazing photos. Scary stuff though! See you soon. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you have tasted hyena you will be laughing alot more! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Vicky, I much preferred the photos of you brewing green tea to those of you ogling a poor dead spotted cat! Tea brewing seems a most sedate pastime and one that I would be able to share with you!.You are developing quite an intimate relationship with the mechanics at riders, through no fault of your own,I hasten to say! Your dad and Cathy are getting very excited about their visit and I know that you are looking forward to seeing them. Jackie and I are sending a few bits and bobs out with them. I don't think your dad will have room for any clothes. Take care, Love, Aunty Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really glad I spotted this on the website and will point it out to Jake, Sheridan and Elliott for them to read and learn about your very busy and exciting life. Love the hyena story ... you are such a bush woman.

    Take care and look forward new chapters xx

    Alison & John Elliott and family xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! Forget the English chocolate....send me some Hyena!!! :) CLJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it all Vixie!
    Your tales are great.
    Good to see you getting stuck in with everything.
    Went to the zoo today with Hannah - just for an afternoon stroll.
    While she was asleep I went round looking for all the animals that were native to your part of Western Africa. Quite a few!!! Wonder if you've seen any?
    Love you
    Luce x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vix

    wot was that person saying about a bush??? ha ha ha

    You can't help it you are in the outback ha ha

    sorry wanting an update to how you are, you must be really busy last blog on 21/1/11 .

    hope you are well speak soon love Phil xxx

    ReplyDelete