How to post a comment

TO POST A COMMENT - At the 'Comment as' box click on the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL' then in the name section type in your own name (the sender) and press 'contine' (there is no need to enter anything in the URL box).

Any views expressed are my own and are not representative of VSO.


Monday 6 September 2010

The Football Game


On Saturday I went to watch Gambia play Namibia at the Independence Stadium at Bakau. The atmosphere was great (despite the fact that it rained for the whole 90 mins!) and Gambia won 3-1. Entering and exiting the ground was an adventure in itself.

Sadly some of the volunteers had their belongings nicked, the pickpockets were exceptionally talented! From our number we had 2 mobile phones, a wallet and a camera taken (all from different people).I was fortunate, I’d be warned that this could happen and held my bag very closely.

My poncho came into its own again at the match and I managed to keep myself and everybody around me dry (relatively dry – well not soaking wet!)

I’m off to Kerewan tomorrow. I’m looking forward to actually getting to my own house and being able to unpack but at the same time I know it’s going to be pretty basic and I’m a bit nervous about work. Also I’ve got used to many of the luxuries in the Kombos and made quite a few friends so it’s going to be hard being out in the sticks on my own!!!

I’m not sure when I’ll next get internet access so apologies if I don’t respond quickly to emails and in terms of blog entries you might not hear from me for a while and then I might have to put a few on in one go! Thinking of you all.

View of the stadium from where I was seated
People behind me!
Pre-match presentation
Getting ready for the national anthem (Gambia are in red)
Me looking very wet but my poncho keeping the crowd dry!
A goal celebration

3 comments:

  1. Sira, have just returned from caravan holiday in Dorset and really enjoyed catching up with your blog of adventures. Your poncho is certainly guaranteed to get you noticed! It just goes to prove that good things can come out of Yorkshire! Glad you are enjoying life in The Gambia. Good luck with the next instalment. Love, Aunty Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicky, Thanks for keeping everyone updated with the pictures in the blog, me and my family are enjoying them and are happy to know you are having a great time, say hello to your new friends for us.
    Mary, Arun and Alba xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vick, it is so nice to see your face again. Greetings from the US. I am so proud of you for following your dreams and realizing them. Keep us posted as to your adventures and one day when you are back home, you may look up and see Prin, my Mom (who is dying to see London), and myself, in your city.

    ReplyDelete