How to post a comment

TO POST A COMMENT - At the 'Comment as' box click on the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL' then in the name section type in your own name (the sender) and press 'contine' (there is no need to enter anything in the URL box).

Any views expressed are my own and are not representative of VSO.


Friday 4 March 2011

Pigtails?

For some time now a few of the girls on my compound have been putting pressure on me saying that I should braid (plait) my hair. The girls (and women) frequently plait their hair and every few weeks they will have new and wonderful styles.

Usually friends/sisters/mothers will braid each other’s hair but occasionally if there is an event coming up, a special occasion or you just feel like something different, then there are people in the town who you can go to who are known for being able to do good plaiting.

So recently I caved in to the pressure and went to see Julde (a really nice girl who stays in the compound opposite me and who is known for her plaiting ability!) to see if she would be able to braid my hair. Apparently a few years ago Julde braided a 'toubabos' (white person) hair (a previous VSO) and was up for the challenge!

I sat on the floor in Julde's compound whilst she set to work. Four hours later Julde announced that she had finished and all those around (a small crowd had gathered to see the toubab hair show!) were suitably impressed. Though I hadn't actually seen my hair, about half way through I realised that Julde was creating 'pigtails' (something Westerners like myself usually associate with children!) so I was happy to see that Gambian's clearly didn’t have the same perception of pigtails as we do in the west!!

After the initial shock of looking in the mirror and realising that I was now a 31yr old woman with pigtails, the hairstyle really grew on me (excuse the pun)!!

I've had my braids in for almost a week now and I’m actually starting to really like them. I love the fact that I don’t have to wash my hair (or even think about it)! Admittedly putting my motorbike helmet on was a little tricky but I seem to have mastered that now!! I'm even starting to think about what style of braids I will have next!!



10 comments:

  1. Hi Vixie
    Loving the pigtail look! It really suits you. The hairdresser should be complimented too - she's done a fab job. Especially as she's not used to caucasian hair.
    Cath and Dad really loved thier visit - glad you did too.
    Missing you.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie Dazzler5 March 2011 at 10:14

    Hello Vicky

    Just managed to catch up on your blog. The hyena was so big and it's teeth - wow! Your Dad and Cath had a great time. I am going to come out too. Cath is going to sort timing with you. I am so excited. Can't wait to give you a big hug.

    The blogs and the photos are great. I particulary like the photos from your Dad's visit.

    Love Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How long did it take? Must have been ages.
    You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi vix, looks good!

    Aunty Jen - do you just look at the pictures? I know it took 4 hours cos I read the blog!!! :-)

    cathy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha good one cathy. thats teachers for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look fantastic, really suit you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so cute. I suppose it helps to keep you cooler. I wonder if it's comfy sleeping with braids. You'll have to let me know. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Vicky,

    I love it! It reminds me of the time Carzanna braided your hair. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vicky
    absolutely fantastic this pigtail look and to not have to bother washing and styling your hair I would love it. Was on tenderhooks reading about the leaking gas incident though . Thank the lord you are safe and well a very expensive lesson learnt!!!!! love you take care jaks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi vix

    av u still got the pigtails or are u onto some other amazing style now ha ha xxx

    Phil

    ReplyDelete