How to post a comment

TO POST A COMMENT - At the 'Comment as' box click on the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL' then in the name section type in your own name (the sender) and press 'contine' (there is no need to enter anything in the URL box).

Any views expressed are my own and are not representative of VSO.


Wednesday 9 March 2011

Run for Cover!

When I first arrived in Kerewan, VSO supplied me with a large gas canister which I attached to my gas stove. Though I'm a little ashamed to admit that I don't actually know how much gas the canister holds I can tell you that the canister itself is about a metre high, exceptionally heavy and that it lasted a whole 6 months (being used daily) before it finally ran out. But run out it did so I had to look into getting it refilled.

Despite the fact that refilling the canister sounds like a relatively simple task, it really isn’t! The empty canister has to be taken to the nearest big city to fill it (Farafenni) and it is far too large and impractical to transport around. So after much negotiation I managed to get somebody to agree to do the transportation and I handed over the rather large sum of money which was required to fill the canister.

When I finally got the canister back in my house I reconnected it to the gas cooker only to find that the tap at the top of the canister (which turns the flow of gas on and off) would not turn. I tried several times but was unable to turn the gas on. So I gave Nathan a call and asked him if he would come over and give me a hand.

Despite his best efforts Nathan too was unable to turn the gas tap on therefore I decided to ask a couple of the men on my compound, perhaps there was a knack to it which Nathan and I just didn’t know about?

Well the compound men came in to help and there didn’t seem to be any special technique to it at all, they just went for the sheer force approach. Within minutes of being in the house one of the men did something to the gas tank which suddenly caused the tap to blow off altogether and the gas to come bellowing out of it.

Everyone’s instincts are different and as soon as I heard the bang of the gas tap hitting the ceiling I ran to the nearest exit (which for me was at the rear of the house). The two men from the compound who had come to ‘help’ also ran for cover (out the front of the house), one of them pulling the door closed on the way out leaving poor bewildered Nathan stood in the middle of a gas-filled room! I don’t want to spoil the end of the story but for the sake of all those who worry about my well-being - both Nathan and I survived this ordeal!

Within seconds the whole house was full of gas as the entire canister just emptied there and then in the middle of the living room. (That’s 6 months worth of gas!!) Intrigued by the noise and commotion a whole crowd of people quickly gathered round the front of the house and once they had seen and smelt what had happened they all started shouting at me (who was stranded at the rear of the building) not to enter the house again.

Well I stood out the back for a few minutes but then the gas was all around me so I had no choice but to run back through the gas-filled house to the front of the building. For the remainder of the evening I sat outside the house with all the doors and windows open however the gas just wouldn’t disperse. Needless to say I couldn’t sleep in the house that night. I did have to go in to get some overnight essentials and the whol ordeal left me a little delirious and light-headed.

So how do I feel about wasting so much money, time and effort and having a house full of gas? Well to tell you the truth I feel bloody lucky because if the gas leakage had happened only half an hour or so later than when it actually did then it would have coincided with the electricity coming on and that initial surge of power could have been disaster for all of us in the house. On reflection we were all very lucky indeed!!

7 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord! I agree that you had a very lucky escape. Please be careful before re-entering the place or lighting anything. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vix,

    Wow!

    We were on the edge of our seats just reading this blog entry. Thanks for reassuring us that you were OK, (at the point of relating the details of the loud bang), because as soon as you read about a gas explosion, you can't help but worry.

    That reminds me...

    We had a our little gas leak round our house recently, but that was actually probably more to do with the curry I had the other evening, rather than a fault tap. Tee Hee ;-)

    Anyway....

    Really loving reading about all your stories and seeing the photos.

    Take care,

    Love Cait and Fil x



    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky don't want to steal your thunder but been there done that thanks to Uncle Glyn! Just before Christmas he angle grinded completely through a gas pipe concealed in the wall! The whole house quickly filled with gas! I thought the cat was dead!We were told afterwards that we were so lucky as sparks from the angle grinder could have sent him sky high! It was a horrible experience so I do really empathise with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you all okay, scary stuff!

    cathy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicky

    All I can say is that these things keep happening to make good blogs. OMG you must write a book people wouldn't believe it - rats the size of elephants, lost crocs, hyena's & crocodiles - gas leaks - wot next for the intrepid VSO.

    Love Phil and Jack R xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicky,

    I am so glad that you and Nathan are okay. I was really surprised to read your entry because Nathan never mentioned the incident to me, but then again, it's par for our family.

    I have heard so many nice things about you from Nathan. Thank you for being such a good friend to him; and thanks for your blogs. It's one way I can see what's going on there.

    Best,
    Joann (Nathan's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jackie Dazzler2 April 2011 at 10:24

    Wow Wee. Glad you are OK but how exciting. Hope you found somewhere to sleep rather than outside with all the animals.

    ReplyDelete