How to post a comment

TO POST A COMMENT - At the 'Comment as' box click on the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL' then in the name section type in your own name (the sender) and press 'contine' (there is no need to enter anything in the URL box).

Any views expressed are my own and are not representative of VSO.


Sunday 22 August 2010

Back to church!

I went to mass again today and though I believe there is a Catholic church closer to where I live, I decided to venture back to Bakau to Our Lady Star of the Sea. I was very early for mass and (with permission) managed to get some pictures of the church.

It was an excellent service again with another wonderful and energetic sermon.  Other church-goers were extremely friendly, and many said hello which was really nice.

During mass and on the journey home I was pondering on what a lovely country The Gambia is. The landscape is beautiful and at the moment everywhere is green because of the rains (I'm told that the Gambia is only green for 4 months then rest of the year it is brown!) And on the subject of the rain - it is incredible. It literally goes from sunshine to a cloud and then a swimming pool of water falls from the sky! Not long after that the sky will clear and the sun shines again - the only trace of rain being the puddles in the road and the wet sand on the walkways. On the whole the people are really nice too and many are so friendly. The greeting process here can last ages! The Gambia has many different tribal groups and they all mix with each other so for example you will find Mandinkas marrying Wolof etc. Plus there are Christians scattered around this predominately Muslim country and yet all live harmoniously with each other.

Many of the VSO volunteers here are friendly people, both the ones I came out with and some of the existing volunteers that we've met. (I've met Paul and his wife Courtney, Paul is living in Kerewan, I will be his new neighbour and he's going to help me settle into work when I arrive). And the VSO staff, well they really are great.


Wow, I'm feeling exceptionally positive! Must have been the church service (I'm going to miss the little church in Bakau when I go up-country). All the best to everyone at home and thanks for all your comments on the blog, I’m surprised but so happy that people are actually reading it!!



3 comments:

  1. Hiya Vix - Sounds like you're having a great time and the Gambia is a lovely place. Pleased you are enjoying the training period, and hope your work is as fulfilling. Must be great to learn the new language and meet so many people. Everyone sounds friendly and welcoming. We are all ok here. Take care, love Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Vics, so glad you had good experience at Church this week. It looks beautiful. I'm also glad that you are settling in and enjoying yourself. I was just saying to your mum today that there must be so much to take in at first, but you seem to be taking it all in your stride.
    Thinking of you and praying for you, love, Aunty Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my darling Vicky, you are in my thoughts & prayers. Enjoyed your blog, especially photos of you smiling, & your poncho! Love always, Rie X

    ReplyDelete