How to post a comment

TO POST A COMMENT - At the 'Comment as' box click on the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL' then in the name section type in your own name (the sender) and press 'contine' (there is no need to enter anything in the URL box).

Any views expressed are my own and are not representative of VSO.


Friday 27 August 2010

My new name!!


Yesterday we went to Serrukunda market so that we could put into practise some of our language skills. The market itself was amazing! It was raining as we arrived and it was quite an adventure selecting a route through the narrow walkways carefully dodging puddles, vendors and shoppers, as well as the wonderful range of goods laid out on the floor.  As we meandered through the maze, sellers called out to us in a variety of different languages. Everything you might need was to be found somewhere in the market and everything you could possibly imagine was laid out before your eyes from cows nostrils to bright and colourful materials. It was a truly a magnificent multi-sensory experience. 

I also got to practice my Mandinka! I’m getting more confident with my greetings now and the women in the market seem to really appreciate you trying to speak the language. They always add new bits and help you learn new phrases. Many times I had to give my apologies and quickly catch up with the group as I often found myself getting left behind because I was chatting with the vendors (and I don’t think I would have been able to find my own way out of the market before midnight!)

It was during this market adventure that I was given my new name! I have been informed by both locals and volunteers that at some point I would be given a Gambian name and this is what most people would call me. I already knew that my Gambian surname would be Siisee (pronounced see-say) because that is the family name of the people from the ‘compound’ where I will be living once in Kerewan. (Most people here live in ‘compounds’, this is like a walled area with several buildings or houses inside. People live in family compounds. I have been informed that I will be living in the Siisee compound with the Siisee family and therefore be linked with the Siisee family name).

Over the last two weeks some volunteers had been given their Gambian names, (it appears to be when they have made a particular connection or friendship with a local, perhaps you chat to them or they recognise or like something about you). I thought that I might have to wait until I reached Kerewan and the Siisee compound to be given my Gambian name however following an exchange of Mandinka greetings at the market one of the sellers kindly gave me her name – Sira. So, for as long as I am in the Gambia I will be known to many as – Sira Siisee (Seesay)!

N too mu Sira le ti. (My name is Sira)
N kontoŋo Siisee le ti. (My family name/surname is Siisee)


A spider at the market

2 comments:

  1. Vicky,

    I like your "new" name. "Sira Siisee". It sounds like you are having a good time meeting new people and learning new things. When I next see you, you can teach me Mandika (you'll be a pro by then).

    I love the pictures you've posted but what's your fascination with spiders? They look huge and almost "man-eating." LOL Next time, I wanna see you posing with the spider.

    Anyway, I'm loving your blog and can't wait until the next installment. I'm always thinking of you. Be safe.

    Love,

    Prin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sira!

    I love it. posting from crete, having great time, feel million miles away so you must be a million more. in my thoughts constantly, love you lots (bought so many majitos that the bar man let me use his laptop!!) xx cathy xx and markus x

    ReplyDelete