How to post a comment

TO POST A COMMENT - At the 'Comment as' box click on the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL' then in the name section type in your own name (the sender) and press 'contine' (there is no need to enter anything in the URL box).

Any views expressed are my own and are not representative of VSO.


Sunday 22 August 2010

Language Training


After a week at Safari Gardens (the hotel) the group were split up and those who will be living in the Kombos area went to their houses. Some of these volunteers had spare rooms in their houses so some of the group are ‘squatting’ with them and the remaining 6 volunteers (of which I am one) went to the VSO house (still in the Kombos area).
It’s a bit strange now that the initial group has been split up; the ‘holiday’ feeling that I had is slowly starting to wear off. I guess it’s like gradual withdrawal, the big group was split in half and then by the end of next week over half the people in the VSO house will be gone and then a week or so after that I will be going to Kerewan on my own!
We’re currently following a VSO programme, it’s very busy, and a lot of time is spent sitting around the VSO office waiting for the things to happen! It’s all good though because the office is ace, air-conditioned, western style toilets, (free bottled water to drink)! Plus all the staff there are really nice and friendly and whenever we go the group are all together. Part of our training is learning the language and we have a total of 16 hours (which is a lot less than the handbook suggested)! Most of us are learning Mandinka. I’m loving the language training and am trying to use it all the time! I only know greetings at the moment (of which there are lots). I’m not great but most of the locals really respect you trying however it’s not the best area to practice in because there are not many Mandinka people where I’m living at the moment. I’m sure (hope) I’ll get better when I get to Kerewan as I believe that most people are Mandinka there.
N ka taa le (I’m going now). Fo ñaato (until later). xx

No comments:

Post a Comment