How to post a comment

TO POST A COMMENT - At the 'Comment as' box click on the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL' then in the name section type in your own name (the sender) and press 'contine' (there is no need to enter anything in the URL box).

Any views expressed are my own and are not representative of VSO.


Monday 1 November 2010

Marriage!


Ceesay Kunda is a lively compound with lots of noises throughout the day and night. Most of the noises I have become accustomed to now such as the ‘call to prayer’ sounding out through the loud speakers of the mosque at various times of the day; parents banging on the doors and shouting in an attempt to wake those who find it difficult to get up for the 5:45am prayer; the pounding of rice and cous from the early hours on the morning; the music from the radio and evening chatter from those enjoying attayah; the greetings of those returning from the fields or gardens and the sound of children playing.

However recently I heard an unfamiliar noise coming from within the compound. There was beating of a drum and cheering and shouting and it sounded like a celebration was taking place. There was excitement in the air and the shouting and singing got louder and more and more drums began to beat at a wild and ferocious pace.

I wondered what this sudden and unannounced celebration could be so I left my house and followed the noise. Just around the corner there was a group of children from the compound. Two were seated on chairs side by side and in front of them was a little table with toys on it (they were actually from my toy box but they were laid out on a little material covered table as though they were gifts). The remainder of the children were scattered around beating water cans with sticks and doing Mandinka dancing around the children on the chair.

When I appeared the shouting and singing got louder and a wave of energy came over the children whose movements and actions became even more animated and exaggerated. Some of the children called out my name and as I walked towards them with a bewildered look on my face one of them smiled and said reassuringly, ‘marriage’.

With that information and further examination it became clear that the children had staged a wedding. I’ve never been to a Mandinka wedding so I wouldn’t like to say how accurate the drama was! Everyone was really excited with perhaps the exception of those I identified as the bride and groom who looked a little overwhelmed!

By the time I returned to the celebrations (after going to the house to get my camera) the hysterical atmosphere had reduced considerably and the children were more interested in posing for a picture rather than allowing me to capture the scene!

The wedding celebrations!

The happy couple!

The wedding guests

1 comment:

  1. I thought you were gonna say they'd married you off to someone and that's why the cheering got louder as you approached! That would have been a surprise!
    Want more toys in the next parcel?
    x

    ReplyDelete